Remote interpreting, both simultaneous and consecutive, is currently in high demand due to the pandemic restrictions in many countries. More and more interpreting assignments have to take place over the phone, or via a video link, to protect all parties involved.
Who is this course for?
This course is for Interpreters who want to learn about remote interpreting skills so as not to miss new opportunities
Why do you need to take this course?
There has been a significant increase in remote interpreting assignments over the past couple of years. Even if you have a lot of on-site or face-to-face interpreting experience, you will find that remote interpreting presents very different challenges and requires certain additional skills. Learning about these challenges in advance, and being prepared to deal with them, will make your remote interpreting more fluent and efficient, and will make your remote assignments less stressful and more enjoyable.
What will you learn from this course?
This course was created to help interpreters understand the specific challenges that remote interpreting poses and find out how you can overcome these challenges. The following topic will be covered :
- Over -the-phone interpreting:
- Awareness of the challenges of the OPI
- Preparation for the assignment
- Protocol (introductions, asking for clarifications, dealing with a bad line, etc)
- Building rapport and dealing with uncertainty
- Turn-taking and managing the speakers where necessary
- Voice Training
- Video Remote Interpreting: specific technical issues
- Remote simultaneous interpreting – introducing RSI platforms
You will receive a certificate upon completion of this course.